Friday, October 02, 2009

A Tribute to Pippi

Pippi. I never really liked that name but you had it when Lori rescued you from the Humane Society 14 years ago and you knew it. And actually it kind of fit you. I can't believe you're gone. How does one mourn over a dog without getting all weird about it. I wish I knew, I wish I knew. Even sitting here creating this blog I have to keep blinking to dismiss the tears welling up in my eyes.

Lori convinced me that having another daschund in the house would be a good thing, a good playmate for Barney. Who knew you'd be the dominnant one. We'd had Barney for several years but you barged in and took control. I wasn't long after that we lost Barney. Barney was my dog and I always maintaind that you drove him insane, but none the less, I grew to love you.

You never had the "tigger" like bounce that Barney had. Matter of fact, you were pretty clutzy. But you were resiliant. Stairs were not your friend. I was horrified the few times you rolled from the top step of our second floor, but in the same breath amazed at how you'd just get up shake yourself off and go about your business.

Some of your habits were just weird. Like the fact that you wouldn't go to the bathroom unless you went out the front door. We could sit on the patio in the back of the house for hours and you'd roam around but never relieve yourself. However, the minute we'd go inside, you'd run to the front door and want out so that you could take care of business.

As you aged your antics only got more strange (and annoying!) Somewhere along the way you developed this annoying lizard like tongue thing. For hours on end your tongue would just go in an out, in and out like a lizard. You weren't to quick with it though cuz there were a few times I could catch it. Gross I know, but it was an attempt to get you to QUIT!

In the last few months you'd lost your hearing and your sight but you kept going like the energizer bunny. It was incredible how your other senses seemed to take over to make up for what you couldn't do. On one side of the side walk was grass and the other were the stones in the flower bed. You'd strecth your paw out to feel which side you were on so you'd know which direction to go so that you could go to the bathroom. You'd often do that when you got back to the step to come in the house but there were a few times you didn't. Those weren't pretty cuz you'd end up missing the step and jacking your jaw on it. But it never seemed to affect you. You'd just get closer and try again.

In reality, it wasn’t funny but I’d be lying if I didn’t say it gave us a few chuckles. Now and then when you’d come in from in from outside you’d do so with great energy…..forgetting you couldn’t see so well. BAM! You’d plow right into the leg of the coffee table, then ricochet into the couch. Being completely turned around you’d charge directly into the wall. Eventually you’d get your bearings and find your way around, often after bouncing off a few other things. You were like a live pinball machine and you would have probably set a points record. We rearranged the furniture once…..’nuff said.

Your obsession with eating got really weird. I guess when your a dog eating and sleeping are 1 and 2 on your task list every day. How you knew it was close to time for you to be fed is beyond me. It would crack me up how you would go and stand in front of the laundry room door (where your food dish was) and stare into the laundry room for sometimes up to an hour before it was time before you to be fed and wouldnt budge. Generally we fed you after we ate but occasionaly we'd fill you dish before we ate. Seemed like every time we change it up on you, you'd go back and stand in front of the laundry room after we finished eating assuming that we were going to feed you AGAIN!

I hated to have to board you when we went out of town this past weekend. Getting boarded was never a good experience for you and as you aged it only seemed to be worse. When we picked you up Tuesday we could tell that you weren't feeling well but hoped it would pass. Wednesday you were so tired. Thursday......yeah Thursday was so sad.

Temperatures have turned cold and fall is quickly moving in. I lay in bed Thursday night and listened to the cold rain falling and I looked toward the end of the bed where you would always lay, all curled up, warm and cozy in your own little blanket. You never liked being cold. But you weren't there. I can hardly type right now......
I finally managed to drift off to sleep but it wasn't easy.

My sorrow lingered over into my waking this morning. As I sat drinking my coffee and watching the news my thoughts went to you. How I wanted to go to the front door and find you waiting there to come in from the rain. But I knew you wouldn't be there.

I miss you Pippi....14 years is a long time to spend with a dog. God I just don't know how to not be weird about this. Some will say 'he was just a dog,' move on. But you were family. It's just so hard and so sad. I pray that in time God will ease this anguish that continues to wash over me like a tide rolling in and out.

2 comments:

Dix said...

I know what you feel and I am sad for you both. I will keep your hearts in my prayers. It will eventually get easier....

Anonymous said...

Bob, you are not being "weird" by mourning the loss of a beloved pet. Pippi was a member of the family in his own special way. Dogs especially are the most loyal, loving creatures on the planet in my opinion. Our dog Buddy greets us at the door when we come home with such unbounded enthusiasm you'd think we had been gone for weeks when it's only been a few hours. Of course you miss your old friend and companion! Don't spend a moment thinking you should just "move on". Go ahead and cry, grieve, and remember the good times you enjoyed. May God give you comfort in your loss.
Love You Guys.
Margie