A couple of Thursdays ago Mark Waltz delivered an impactful, inciteful and enriching message at GCC surrounding Matthew 6:1-4 which says...
"Be especially careful when you are trying to be good so that you don't make a performance out of it. It might be good theater, but the God who made you won't be applauding. "When you do something for someone else, don't call attention to yourself.
The message evolved into an amazing look at what we are motivated by when our goal is to do something good for someone else. It was quite eye opening and humbling, maybe even somewhat embarassing. When I thought about some of the driving things that are motivated by selfishness that lurked behind them I was stunned.
I think it can be really difficult for people in general to not have ulterior motives at work, the major one being reward. I guess if you have a job that you really love perhaps this isn't such a huge issue because what you're doing is rewarding enough. But I think for the "average Joe" reward is the major issue surrounding the motivation to work. After all, you get a performance review once a year,and aren't you hopeful that the work that you've done will bring you recognition, praise.....and a raise! Shouldn't your goal be to do the best you can for the company without wondering what you'll reap in the end. Can a job be fulfilling enough that reward isn't the major motivator? What kind of job would enable that to happen in your life? What needs to change in a current position to change what motivates you in a current position?
"I'll scratch your back if you scratch mine." This familiar saying emits expectation. I'll be motivated to do something for you if you'll do something for me. Where do you find the "unpretentious-ness" in this. I think motivation can be seen in a myriad of life, business and political situations to name a few.
I have my own issues with recognition motivation. Even though my best intent is to just do for others in various areas of my life, I think there lurks within me a wanting to hear "job well done." But if thats true why is my response often "oh it was nothing." What does that mean? Obviously it was "something" if deep down I wanted to be noticed for it. Do we say things like "it was nothing" because thats the time when we're finally faced with the selfishness that may have driven us to perform. Interesting concept, huh!
I think Marks message at GCC last night was as good reminder for me that I need to be aware of the things that I may unconsciously do for which I secretly expect recognition. It's not about me and when it comes down to it there's only ONE that I want to hear "job well done" from when I get to heaven.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I told you I'm behind in my blog reading... again, I'm grateful for our friendship and the mutual journey toward Christ.
Post a Comment