Monday, November 13, 2006

Travelers Gift

Recently I finished reading a book entitled "The Travelers Gift" by Andy Andrews. I heard from a couple people that it was a must read. The cover indicated that it contained 7 decisions to personal success. I thought ok, its one of those books that tells you if you do this, this, and this you'll be successful. But since it was recommended by people whose opinions I value I decided to give a try.

I was expecting it to be like the usual self-help kind of books. I was certain that as I started it there would be a laundry list of things that I would have to do and then measure my progress in some way. It wasn't like that at all. I was captured from page one.

"The Traveler's Gift" is written like a novel and I was captivated from page one. The story resonated with where my life was about a year ago when I was laid off from my job. The things that go through your mind are unimaginable until it happens to you. Your emotions are on a roller coaster along with your self worth.

Andy Andrews has done a stellar job of telling an outstanding story of how one man copes with an unexpected life changing event. Your taken from total hopelessness to absolute optimism. Intertwined in the story are the 7 decisions that are designed to reveal the hope that we have.

Learning to accept responsibility for our past and our future, seek wisdom, willfully serve others, take action, be decisive, chose happiness and a grateful spirit, greet each day with a forgiving spirit and persitency are key the success of life of personal success.

I found this book highly motivating and inciteful. It restores your hope that you can turn around the bleakest situation. I've even found myself reviewing the principles even after I've completed the book. It's a must read on my list.

No comments: