Sunday, November 18, 2007

Changing it up

We returned from vacation Tuesday afternoon and I hadn't been to the gym since the previous Thursday. I was expecting the worst when I went after work on Wednesday but it actually wasn't that bad. However, I ended up working late on Thursday and we had plans right after work on Friday so I got one whole day in this week. We did make it to the gym on Saturday morning so I was feeling like I was going to get back on track.

Saturday afternoon we went to METRO WALK & RUN on Grape Road because Lori wanted to get some new work out shoes and she heard that this places would be able to fit her to the shoe that best met her needs. While we were there I had mentioned to the clerk how the elliptical machine was killing the front part of my feet. The store clerk said that the shoe I was wearing probabl didn't have enough support in that part of the shoe and asked what I was wearing. I said they were NIKE SHOX. She said the brunt of the support was in the heal in those shoes as they were designed for running.

A while back we were in a conversation with our friend Reta about workout plans and she mentioned that after a period of doing the same work out your body gets used to doing that type of exercise and your benefits either plateau or even diminish somewhat.

I've been toying around with the idea of running for a while but never had the courage to start doing it. I've been only doing the elliptical maching for months and thinking I needed to change it up. When the clerk at METRO WALK & RUN said my shoes were designed for running it prompted me to think maybe now is the time to make the change. So this morning when Lori and I went to the gym I opted for the treadmill instead of the elliptical machine.

I wondered if I could even stay on the treadmill as it's so different than the elliptical. I can go at a pretty good pace on the elliptical machine, 9-10 miles per hour and usually average 6 or 7 miles in my workout. I got off to a fairly good start on the treadmill but learned by the end of the first mile that this really was way different than the elliptical and I needed to slow it up or I was never going to make it through the entire workout.

After slowing my pace somewhat I found my rhythm. I was able to continuously bump up the speed, but never did get up to that that I can do on the elliptical machine. But I figured, hey it gives me something to work towards. Before I knew it I had made it to the end of the workout time that I always do on the elliptical machine. What do you know, I could do it!

Now if I'm not increadibly sore tomorrow I plan on giving this new running thing another shot..........

No comments: