Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Fall back one hour....

We,actually I, was unmotivated to change all of the clocks in the house before going to bed Saturday night and decided to leave them until Sunday morning.

Some of them are such a hassle. Like the Anniversary clock with the chime thing that's on the top shelf of our tv cabinet. First of all, you gotta reach way back and pull it out and try not to knock down the brik-a-brack in front of it. Once it's out, you gotta take the glass dome off and pry the back off so you can turn the wheel to change the hands. After resetting the hands you have to put the back cover back on and of course it keeps popping off. By now the glass dome has my finger prints all over it so I have to Windex it. Once it's all reassembled then you have to play 'negotiate the brik-a-brak' again to get it back to where it belongs. Like I said it's a hassle.

Course the Anniversary clock isn't 1/2 as bad as the clock on stove. I can never remember how it gets reset and I end up either starting the pre heat timer and the oven kicks on before I finally give up and recruit my wife to do it. I'm not much better with the microwave.

Anyway, we I went to bed Saturday night and didn't reset any of the clocks in our house. During the middle of the night I woke up and had to go to the bathroom. We have this LED clock radio in our bedroom that I think I bought when I was 12 years old with its big 'ole red LED display. Hey, it still works even if it is 33 years old. So I look at the clock and it says 3am. I got up and staggered off to the bathroom, still 1/2 asleep. I came back to bed, glanced at the clock again, and pulled the covers up and went off to la la land.

What didn't seem like much later, I heard the dog whining and doing his usual morning antics so that he can get fed and be put outside. I cracked open one eye to see the illuminated red numbers on the clock and it read 12:38. I'm thinking to myself, didn't I get up at 3am to go to the bathroom or did I just dream that? I laid there and tried to make sense out of it. The dog never gets up at 12:30 am. Why does he want to eat at such a strange time. It was still dark out. What time was it? Am I dreaming now?

I couldn't deal with the confusion and the more I thought about it the more awake I became so I decided to get up. I grabbed my robe and swooped the dog up in my arms and headed down the stairs.

Much to my relief I wasn't losing my mind. Apparently somewhere between 3am and the time I had just gotten out of bed we lost power. So every clock in the house that was ran by electricity had a differnt time on it. My sanity was redeemed when I saw the Anniversary clock and it said 6 am.

....time keeps on slippin' into the future!

No comments: