Sunday, October 22, 2006

Office intruders

The office building I work in is out in the Blackthorn Golf course office complex area. Its a beautiful area, especially right now. The trees are filled with a panorama of red yellow and orange leaves. They lawns are manicured and fall flowers are blooming everywhere. Sometimes the deer even come into the courtyard of our building. It's really awesome.

However, aweseome has it's downside. We've had our share of insect issues this fall. There has been this plague of these flat black and red bugs that were virtually everywhere you turned. They were especially bad in our entrance way. I'm not kidding they were so thick that you could virtually scrape them into piles. Some people were referring to them a stink bugs. I just know that it stunk because they were everywhere you went.

Not only were they crawling on everything but they could fly as well. There's nothing like sitting at your desk and getting dive bombed by these things. A week or so ago I think I spent more time swatting the things away then I got actual work done.

I think there was two at my desk late yesterday that thought they wanted to be my own personal pets. They wouldn't leave for anything. Every now and then one of them would be crawling across my computer monitor. After seeing it there a few times I wondered if I could get it to follow the mouse so I'd put it arrow right in front of it and try to get it to follow. Needlesstosay I didn't have much luck but it was entertaining for a brief time.

They won't die either. I know for a fact that 3 times I put one of the things in the trash can at my desk and it wasn'tlong before I saw it crawling over the edge and flying back up onto my desk top somewhere.

Theres a girl in my department who is in charge of the building, so to speak and extermination of these things fell within her realm. She finally arranged for the exterminators to come out and spray to get rid of our black and red menaces. The morning following the exterminator's visit our entrance was a sea of dead black and red bugs. I guess it was beyond the cleaning people to sweep them up. And I mean beyond them for days. It was as if we ended up having a path in this sea of dead bugs from the traffic pattern of people coming in and out of our office building.

The plague of the red and black bugs had virtually come to an end. I still see a few here and there. I think there was one making its way down into the printer just outside my cube the other day, but for the most part they've gone.

Although the bugs are gone we had a new problem on Friday. Our administrative assistant came into work last Friday morning and had a surprise waiting for here in her cube, a snake.

Whats next!

No comments: