Reflective, insightful, contemplative and maybe even a little pensive are just a few of the words that describe the weekend service at GCC (Granger Community Church) this weekend. Last week ended a 5 week series on the enemy that lurks within us. Topics included temptation, revenge, selfishness, insecurity and gossip. All of those topics were somewhat culminated giving us all an opportunity to ponder how all of those things are affecting our lives.
I think most of us, I know its true for me, hear that little voice inside our heads telling me what the right choice in all things that we do and say. Yet it can be so easily cast aside and ignored.
A common scripture weaved into the message was Romans 7: 14 -16.....
I can anticipate the response that is coming: "I know that all God's commands are spiritual, but I'm not. Isn't this also your experience?" Yes. I'm full of myself—after all, I've spent a long time in sin's prison. What I don't understand about myself is that I decide one way, but then I act another, doing things I absolutely despise......
There is no doubt how quickly I can get caught up in "me" and when I allow that to happen I'm only opening the door and giving the "enemy within" a prime, tactical position. When life becomes all about me, temptations, bitterness, selfishness and insecurity begin to fester and the road out of the land of "me" seems unsurpassable.
This weekend reminded me how I have to guard myself from the "enemy within." But it seems that I often live in the land of "me" and only vacation outside of it. Kind of reminds me of the lyrics to Hotel California..."you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave"
But I have a way out.
Romans 7:24-25 24 I've tried everything and nothing helps. I'm at the end of my rope. Is there no one who can do anything for me? Isn't that the real question? 25The answer, thank God, is that Jesus Christ can and does. He acted to set things right in this life of contradictions where I want to serve God with all my heart and mind, but am pulled by the influence of sin to do something totally different
....because people matter. Because I matter.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You certainly do...you and Lori matter a great deal to me. I cherish our friendship, our laughs, and how we miss seeing each other inbetween...now that is a great sign of true friendship. Love you both a ton!
Dix
Post a Comment