Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Go Team!

Ok, let's face it. I don't know everything. Sometimes situations arise in which I'm not well versed but need to make a decision and/or take action upon. I have two choices: I can rely totally upon only what I know or I can seek the wisdom and counsel of others to better equip me for the response.

This "team" concept is so evident in my work place at Granger Community Church. It is modeled from our Senior Management Team all the way to the volunteers that serve.

My supervisor, Dave, has been instrumental in helping me grow in this team approach to challenges. I've learned that I don't have to have the answer to everything. Dave is always open to a question (no matter how dumb I think it may be) and I'm become very comfortable in bouncing ideas off of him.

Just yesterday I had one those "issues" arise. I knew what route I thought was correct, but wasn't sure if I'd considered all of the ramifications. I ran it by Dave and we discussed it. I then ran it by a couple other staff and even more helpful information and process evolved. Team effort pays.

From his book, “The Richest Man Who Ever Lived” , Steven Scott discusses our naivete to success in his chapter on “Disarming the booby traps to success. Scott says “More often than not, our vision is far too limited to make the best decision based only on our own knowledge and experience. Solomon cautions in Proverbs 15:22, “Without counsel plans are frustrated, but, with many counselors they succeed.” To make important decisions without the aid of outside counsel is not only naïve, it’s foolish. By bringing in the expert opinion of others, we radically expand our field of vision and become far more qualified to make a wise decision.”

Sure there are day to day things that we should all be able to make good decisions about and follow through on, but there are also many things that have a much better outcome with the counsel of others. Team out performs an individual every time.

No comments: