Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Cheerful

This morning verses 16-18 stuck out for me when I was reading in 1 Thessalonians 5. “Be cheerful no matter what…..” Wow! I’m really not very good at that. Often, what I am good at is letting my environment or my situation dictate my mood. How does one be cheerful no matter what? I think I could be a lot more cheerful than I am.

Webster's defines cheerful as: a: full of good spirits : merry, a cheerful host b; ungrudging, cheerful obedience

It was interesting to me how the definition of cheerful mirrored God and how we are to respond to God. God is ‘full of good...’ God is good. So then if we’re are cheerful we are likely full of the goodness of God. Therefore, uncheerful has the potential of being void of God to some extent.

The second part of the definition impacted me as well, cheerful obedience. As Christians, we’re called to be obedient to God. Jesus was the epitome of obedience. He could have chosen another path but He didn’t. Was Jesus then ‘cheerful’ in the midst of his most grueling moments. I can be un-cheerful in some of the simplest situations.

So why then, do I struggle with being cheerful? I think the world has taught me that if things aren’t going my way then I have a right to a pity party for myself. But isn’t there something positive in every situation? Being proactive means finding that 'positive' and holding on to cheerful.

Jesus, You did it. Show me how I can do it.

2 comments:

Jeanna said...

I think you struggle with being cheerful because our copiers are always needing service calls :)

Lori Casto said...

hey you have me, that should make you cheerful just thinking about it. hee hee